gcj problem with -static option

I have build gcj compiler from the the GCC 3.4.4 distribution, on a PC running Linux RedHat.
When I compile and run a simple java HelloWorld application, no problem.
But, as my future target is an embedded application, I use the -static option of gcj, to build a new HelloWorld
application, which doesn't need any shared lib on execution.
The build seems correct, despite the fact that my simple HelloWorld executable has a size of 13MB ...
But, when I try to run it, I have a "segmentation fault (core dumped)".
With gdb 6.4, I can see the problem occurs in the _Jv_FindClass function, during the call to sys->loadClass.

Has anyone already met this problem ?

Thanks for your help