Re: implementing escape analysis

Paul Biggar wrote:

> A question that remains is whether or not it will need to be implemented
> at both ends. In particular, there were questions of StringBuffer
> optimizations which seem to require the data being available at the
> front-end.

You will probably need to talk to the front end at some point.  It may
even be the case that we need to add new langhooks and/or have it
preserve information it's now tossing away.

The actual structural analysis is simplified if done in the middle-end,
because you've got the CFG, use-def information, potential escape sites
identified, etc.

What you will need from the FE are rules regarding type system,
attributes at call sites (for special library calls) and such.  I don't
think that should be too hard to get.

> Another question is whether, if it is to be done at the back-end,
> somebody else is already working on it, in gcc. Or it may be done
> before. I found this post when looking through the gcc archives:
> I can't find any evidence of what came of it though.

No.  Nothing came out of that.