Re: implementing escape analysis

Per Bothner wrote:
David Daney wrote:

An object allocated by _Jv_AllocObject can not be stack allocated as it has a finalizer, but one allocated with _Jv_AllocObjectNoFinalizer can be, so there has to be some differentiation between all these different cases.

Stack allocating objects with finalizers is straight-forward.
C++ has done it for decades.

Well there you go!

There does have to be quite a bit of communication with the front-end so that you know which case is which and how to finalize.

The thing that concerns me is that in an ideal world you might do this in the middle-end, but if we wait for this to happen, it could be a long wait.

On the other hand if we hacked a limited version of it into the gcj front-end, it could be something that is possible for 4.2.

I think all the discussion is great. But I think the added complexity of doing it at the tree-ssa level might be so great that it will never happen.

David Daney.