 > [thhal@localhost gcjtest]$ time java -server Client task.test servers.d result.d
 >
 > real    0m0.510s
 > user    0m0.073s
 > sys     0m0.393s
 >
 > 200.0   39
 > 300.0   1
 > 400.0   0
 > 500.0   1
 >
 > REMARK: Obviously, the JIT discovers that the loop is not really a loop sometime
 > during the first iterations and decides to optimize pretty hard...

Indeed.  :-)

One thing we've all laearned about benchmarks: for a test to be in any
way meaningful it has to actually *do* something.

For what it's worth, I was quite suprised that gcj didn't spot the
same opportunity.  Maybe this is part of the value range propagation
optimizations that aren't yet in core gcc.

Andrew.