Re: legal issues re compiling other java libs?

Heitzso writes:

 > >But I'm mystified why a speech synthesizer needs graphics anyway...

 > freetts, the speech synthesizer, is looking for javax.sound.sampled.*
 > classes
 > which are found in IBM's graphics.jar file.  (Hey, I didn't name IBM's
 > jar ...)
 >
 > and axis is looking for sun.awt.image.codec.JPEGImageEncoderImpl
 > which is found in same graphics.jar file.  Axis also needs old jimi
 > code from a Sun jar.

I'm using axis-1.2.1-1jpp_1fc, and it doesn't seem to need any unfree
classes.

 $ rpm --requires -qf /usr/share/java/axis/axis-1.2.1.jar
jaf
jakarta-commons-discovery
jakarta-commons-httpclient
jakarta-commons-logging
java
javamail
jpackage-utils >= 0:1.5
log4j
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
wsdl4j

 > My SOAP call is extremely simple so I can get away with hand building
 > the xml etc. and dropping AXIS entirely.
 >
 > Is there an open source replacment for javax.sound.sampled.* classes?

They seem to be in libgcj-4.1.0.