Re: legal issues re compiling other java libs?

Heitzso writes:
 > Trying to get my java app that uses freetts and axis
 > to compile with gcj, I find myself having to pull in
 > other java libraries:
 >
 > axis:
 >     IBM's graphics.jar
 >     jimi from sun
 >
 > freetts:
 >     IBM's graphics.jar
 >
 > then, to build graphics.jar I'll probably have to pull in
 > other IBM or sun jars.

Don't do that.

 > I haven't thought the legal issues when taking more generic
 > off the shelf jars, i.e. various apache or gnu jars and compiling
 > them down into shared libraries for the app.  But having to
 > reach into IBM's JDK and touch their jar's makes me wonder.
 >
 > And I'm now wondering about even compiling gnu jars,
 > e.g. gnumail, and apache jars, e.g. blat-commons-blat.jar,
 > into a common app.
 >
 > Without dragging in an IP lawyer, what is the common
 > thought on this?

Don't do that!  Hey, we're not lawyers here, but redistribution rights
are limited on many of these proprietary libraries.  But to know for
sure you'll have to read the licence, sorry.

But I'm mystified why a speech synthesizer needs graphics anyway...