gcj on OSX Tiger

My java app w/ swt and freetts is breaking on OS X because
of the (harsh expletive) OSX Java threading problems
(non-daemon threads being spawned somewhere in freetts
that are not dying, and, yes, I setDaemon(true) for all threads
I'm creating and all threads terminate the way they should
on Linux/Win, it's only on OSX that the problem occurs.)

GCJ questions:
   what is current recommended GCJ on OSX?
and
   is there an up-to-date URL doc'ing current
   recommended GCJ on OSX?

Thanks!