Re: RFC: micro-libgcj merge proposal

David Daney wrote:
Per Bothner wrote:

David Daney wrote:

Q: Who gets to decide what is in micro-libgcj?
I cannot use micro-libgcj if it contains too small a sub-set of libgcj. Likewise I don't want it to be too big. My requirements do not cleanly fit into any of Sun's J2ME profiles so I don't want that either.

That is why we need pre-processing. At configure time you select a "profile" - either a "standard" named profile or a custom profile. Each profile sets set of pre-processor flags, such as "+java.lang.ClassLoader" (if the profile includes ClassLoader support) or "-java.lang.ClassLoader" (if it doesn't). Then at 'make' time (though it could be 'configure' time, I guess) we run a pre-processing filter and the normal .java files to give the modified files in a separate directory, before compiling the latter.

Well I like Per's proposal. I think something like this would be extremely useful. However it does not seem like that is what is being proposed.

On the face of possibly being unrealistic, but wouldn't what Per proposes be implementable at the bytecode level, without requiring preprocessing at all? I'd imagine a switch like '-java.util.Hashtable' to go and purge all fields & methods using java.util.Hashtable recursively, until a 'slice' of the classes without any hashtable invocation is left over.

Or is that too weird an idea to be useful?

cheers,
dalibor topic