Re: gcj on osx questions

Mohan Embar wrote:
I'd like to get JNI libraries built against Apple's JDK to be loaded
by libgcj....

Ugh. Maybe I spoke too soon (new territory for me):

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2005-02/msg00067.html

According to Apple's documentation, .jnilibs can be either bundles or dylibs:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Java/Conceptual/Java14Development/05-CoreJavaAPIs/CoreJavaAPIs.html

"In building your JNI libraries, you have two options. You can either build them as bundles or as dynamic shared libraries (sometimes called dylibs). If you are concerned about maintaining backward compatibility with Mac OS X version 10.0, you should build them as a bundle; otherwise you probably want to build them as a dylib. Dylibs have the added value of being able to be prebound, which speeds up the launch time of your application. They are also easier to build if you have multiple libraries to link together."

I'm guessing it ought to be possible to support bundle-style jnilibs in libgcj, anyway, possibly jumping through some additional hoops in libgcj's loadLibrary implementation. In any case, that is something to worry about after the header issue is addressed ;-)

Bryce