Re: gcjx llvm backend

On 28 Nov 2005 16:27:07 -0700, Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> wrote:

> Bryce> In any case, LLVM integration is a really cool project - using LLVM and
> Bryce> sharing parts of gcjx with libgcj so that the same code can be used to
> Bryce> implement AOT compilation and runtime (JIT) compilation could hold some
> Bryce> interesting possibilities.
>
> Mike> True but I think the biggest gain will be to optimize acros the jni
> Mike> barrier right now llvm seems to be the only open technology where that
> Mike> sort of cross language optimization is possible.
>
> Yeah, that has very cool potential.  I'm somewhat skeptical that it
> will really help, since I think most java programmers try pretty hard
> to avoid the various JNI performance penalties.  That doesn't reduce
> my interest though :-)
>
> Another potential benefit of LLVM-ization is the possibility to use
> different GCs.  Perhaps we could port MMTk.

That I agree with picking the right GC for the job gui/server memory size etc
is probably one of the most important things. LLVM seems to have a
very clean GC interface
and agian it can be used across all of the code base not just the java
code this agian opens up potential performance gains.

Time to go home and get more stuff going.

Mike