A Special Thanks to David Daney et al.

Hello again:

I would like to extend our sincerest gratitude to David Daney, Tom Tromey, Andrew Haley, and others who advised me on how to deal with our GCJ application "memory leak".

As I suspected, it was no leak. Others take note: GCJ and Boehm GC WORK, and this includes memory management. It is much more likely that there is a bug in your application than it is that there's a bug in GCJ/Boehm memory management!

David Daney's "GC dumping tool" was critical in our achieving an understanding of what was happening in our application. Our application is a very complex VXML voice browser, so it's very hard to debug memory management problems just by looking at the code. David's tool was a "manna from heaven" type thing. Before his tool gave us a window into what was being "leaked", we simply had no idea what was going on. David's tool showed us where to look, and led us out of a potentially disastrous situation for our company.

For this reason, I am asking once asking that the David Daney/Avtrex GC dumping tool be added to the GCJ core. It's very small, has absolutely no effect when not in use, and is extremely helpful when needed. Memory problems, whether due to application or GCJ core issues, are just too opaque the way things are right now. Let's get David's excellet tool into GCJ, so that others may benefit from its awesome capabilities.

But most of all, THANK YOU for bailing us out!

craig vanderborgh
voxware incorporated