Re: Null pointer check elimination

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
"Michael N. Moran" <mike@mnmoran.org> writes:

[...]

| Do we want to hide the error by not crashing? Why not just do the
| math and keep running? This seems like a run-time check that
| is not a part of the C/C++ language as I understand it.

defined by which standards?

At this point, I am entirely out of my league. As I said in my initial post, IANALL, I am simply one who has lurked on this list for years because of my interest in GCC as it applies to C/C++ .

I freely admit to my ignorance on issues of the standards, but
this behavior is surprising to me.

You guys do a great job, and I depend on your compiler. I *want*
GCC to be standards compliant, so I am not complaining. Its just
that given the systems programming roots of C/C++ and the "you don't
pay for what you don't use" and the "least surprise" maxims, I
feel a bit confused.

Sorry, I'll shut-up or go complain to the standards bodies
... yikes! ;-)

-- Michael N. Moran (h) 770 516 7918 5009 Old Field Ct. (c) 678 521 5460 Kennesaw, GA, USA 30144 http://mnmoran.org

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
 and we never even know we have the key."
The Eagles, "Already Gone"

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1