Re: java.net, JavaOne

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 17:09, Hans Boehm wrote:
> For the sake of completeness, here's the clause I worry about:
>
> 12. [...] notwithstanding any other provision of these web site Terms
> of Participation [...]

> Note that this is explicitly a license grant, and (if I'm understanding
> this correctly) seems to say that it takes precedence over other terms of
> the agreement.

Oh yes, I see it now. That's fun: we have one clause which states that the
licence applicable to specific software prevails over the whole ToP, and
another clause which says we grant the Hosts a broad licence notwithstanding
any other provision of the ToP. So who shaves the barber?

My own interpretation would be that the prevailing in clause 2 takes precence
over the notwithstanding in clause 12, but IANAL. I can see why one would be
wary of posting code of which one was not the copyright owner and/or code
which you wish to keep under a specific licence such as GPL to java.net - but
I wasn't planning to do that anyway.

Project Looking Glass is GPL, so maybe they got a clarification. Maybe send a
mail to the owners?

Cheers,

Chris

--
Chris Gray        /k/ Embedded Java Solutions  BE0503765045
Embedded & Mobile Java, OSGi        http://www.kiffer.be/k/