Re: javax.xml in GCC 3.4.4?

Thanks for the info guys. The application I wanted to compile was Saxon 8.5 and I believe he avoided using the DOM API to speed up XSL transforms. I'll give 4.0.2 a try. Hopefully it'll work and I can run it without the JVM starting up every time.

Maybe you guys can have someone update the GCJ site to reflect this info. It'd help newbies like me. Thanks again.

Chris N.

Chris Burdess wrote:

Tom Tromey wrote:

Christopher> Also, I would like to natively compile an application
Christopher> that requires Java 1.4+ (I'm guessing for the xml
Christopher> libraries).  Since GCJ says it supports Java 1.2, is it
Christopher> possible with these added XML classes that I might be
Christopher> able to compile the Java 1.4 files?

Possibly.  The best way to do this sort of thing is to try it.  Also,
you might consider installing 4.0.x.  It has a lot of improvements,
including javax.xml.

It might be worth noting that as of the time of the merge, GNU JAXP implements JAXP 1.3 (equivalent to Java 1.5), which means that if you have Java 1.4-based classes that implement the DOM API (extending org.w3c.dom.Node, for instance), they may need to be updated to compile properly. If you simply use the 1.4 API, you should be fine.