Re: problem embedding resources

you need to replace
.getResourceAsStream("swt.gif")));
with
.getResourceAsStream("/swt.gif")));

Generally you should have package prefix for resources (they are in
the context of a class), and as a side note, your example fails under
sun jvm.
Other tip is to compile resources with package prefix also, for
example if the gif was on the ex.resource package:
gcj -c -o swt.o --resource=ex/resource/swt.gif ex/resource/swt.gif
and in java you have:
getResourceAsStream("resource/swt.gif")