Re: Patch to enable libgcj.dll for MinGW

TJ Laurenzo wrote:

even though an inline body is provided. If the C++ compiler can prove
that an object is an instance of a and not one of its subclasses, it
can inline the body. If it can't prove that, it won't do the
inlining.

Thanks for the correction. So, for platforms that support it, the
optimization is indeed semantically correct. Can we decide what to
do with it? I am still in favor of removing the code entirely, but if
the decision is to go with a "--disable-inline" option, I will code
that up and submit the patch.

I don't think its useful enough to keep, at least not for virtual methods. There is an argument to keep inlining private calls, which should be safe so long as CNI code is always kept in the same binary as the Java class with which it is associated.

Bryce