Re: pr23467 fallout status?

On 8/26/05, Joern RENNECKE <joern.rennecke@st.com> wrote:
> Richard Henderson wrote:
> >
> >What's the status of fixing the libgcj failures caused by this patch?
> >
> >The problem was reported to you yesterday; I was hoping to see something
> >from you today fixing the problem -- or at least discussing it.  I'll
> >revert the patch tomorrow if I don't hear anything.
> >
> I've applied the attached patch under the obvioud rule - it reverts the
> change
> for non-aggregate types, i.e. you get the same behaviour as before for
> !STRICT_ALIGNMENT targets like i686-pc-linux-gnu.
> I've verified that bool is back to 8 bit alignment, and that
> stage2/stor-layout.o is
> built without warnings.
>
> We should probably still do something about char_type_node, though.  Im java
> it can't be both the character type and the type of an addressable unit
> (unless we are talking specifically about a word-addressing target ;-).

Thanks Joern. I'm bootstrapping an updated snapshot of the tree now.

The sizes of the types (8 bits for boolean, 16 bits for char and short, 32
bits for int, 64 bits for long, etc.) in Java are mandated by the Java
Language Specification (JLS).

This aside, the 22 hours bit for the testsuite is worrisome.
Is it hanging somewhere or is just so slow? You might want
to take this issue up in a separate thread.

Thanks,
Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew      Email: rmathew AT gmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.    Web: http://ranjitmathew.hostingzero.com/