Re: java.awt.Robot needs libXtst

Dalibor Topic wrote:
From my experience (and my own multiple additions to the ./configure
option maze in kaffe), I'd suggest simply printing a very descriptive
error message[1] and aborting the configure script.

Creating different sub-configurations for special cases has a pretty
high maintenance cost in the long term, as I've found out. :)

[1] "please install the libXtst development package, or turn off gtk
peers by passing the option --something to the configure script"

It seems a shame that people can't use gtk peers without a non-default development library.

Perhaps we could have a 'gtk-without-robut' option ...

Tom Tromey wrote:
> On my FC4 box this library is in the xorg-x11-devel package.

I tried 'yum update xorg-x11-devel' and 'you install xorg-x11-devel'.
Neither appeared to do anything.

I'm concerned about deployment.  It may be ok to require a -devel
package for somebody compiling an gcj/gtk/awt application.
However, it must be possible to install that application on a
box that doesn't have libXtst installed.  I assume that is the case?
--
	--Per Bothner