Re: GCJ and J2ee

Anthony Green wrote:

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 15:34 +0200, dbousseb@netcourrier.com wrote:

Hi;

Q1 : Its possible to compile a J2ee application with GCJ (native code) ? My application use JSP/Servlet (struts) and the framework Spring and Ibatis ?

Q2 : If its OK, on which application server I must deploying the file *.exe file => Tomcat or Jboss ?

Tomcat is known to work with gcj. Fedora Core 4 was just released two days ago and includes tomcat5, struts and related technologies.

I don't know if anybody has tried Spring or Ibatis (never heard of
that).

We have integrated Spring, Jetty, and Velocity all on a SBC running embedded Linux. We compiled the Spring et al. under gcj 3.3 to
native xscale object code. It works beautifully - it's fast and reliable, with all of the Spring functionality intact.

The bad news is that it took a fair amount of work. Mostly little GCJ incompatibility nits. But I think that things are vastly better (as far
as compatibility goes) with more recent versions of GCJ. I would try GCJ 4.0 in particular, but the latest in the 3.4 series is also a good
bet.

JSP is potentially a big problem, although it might work. Remember that JSP uses the JDK to compile servlets, one for each JSP page. Hard to believe, but that's how it works. For this reason we avoid JSP like the plague, and use Velocity. Velocity is much easier to use,
much faster, and results in better, more easily understood dynamic pages. Also, you should seriously consider using Spring Web MVC. It's much better and much easier to use than Struts. The J2EE pundits have shown that Spring Web MVC mops the floor with Struts.

Regards,
craig vanderborgh
voxware incorporated

This is all on Linux.  Your references to *.exe files implies that
you're using Windows.  Making all this work on Windows would be an
interesting exercise.  I don't believe anybody has tried this.

I should also mention that JoNAS is starting to work with gcj.  As far
as I know nobody is looking at Jboss.

AG