Re: [Fwd: Uninitialized stack gaps and conservative garbage collection]

Greetings!

Raymond Toy <rtoy@earthlink.net> writes:

> Camm Maguire wrote:
> > Raymond Toy writes:
> >
> >>On the sparc port, this area can be zeroed out with appropriate
> >>optimization settings.  I ran some tests using Eric Marsden's
> >>cl-bench.   If the stack is always cleared, the cost of some
> >>benchmarks go up, but some go down, because the cost of GC is
> >>decreased.  (The benchmarks include GC time.)
> > Thanks for the tip -- does this use gcc, and if so, what is the
>
> You know, of course, that CMUCL is a native compiler that doesn't use
> gcc.  I hand-wrote the assembly code to clear the stack area. :-)

:-)  I forgot.  I think I've discovered a way to do the same from
:within C, but I don't like it.  Right now we've addressed most issues
:by pushing the stack mark origin to the frame just above toplevel --
at least a toplevel gc should be able to reclaim all memory.

The stress test here is repeatedly making a list the size of the whole
heap :-).

Take care,