Re: libjava configure question

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> writes:

Andrew> One other thing: I don't think we can do this in general and meet even
Andrew> the more relaxed requirements of java.lang.Math, because the x86 has a
Andrew> restricted range of allowable arguments to its trig functions.

I thought the Math restrictions were designed to explicitly allow use
of the FPU on x86.

BTW, with 1.5 we will have more opportunities to use builtins here.
For floating point there is at least cbrt; for integer types there is
popcount and (I think) a few more bit-twiddling operations.

Andrew> Try this with -ffast-math:

I thought -ffast-math turned on some unsafe optimizations.  The manual
is really unclear about what it does though.  Are our FP builtins
conditional on -ffast-math?  I didn't see that in gcc/java, but maybe
it happens elsewhere(?).