Re: Memory residence

shudo@computer.org writes:
 > > Generally speaking, AOT compilers like GCJ are known to be
 > > advantageous to JVMs which interpret and/or compile Java bytecode.
 >
 > Also in start-up time of an application.
 >
 > I measured the time to start up Eclipse 3.1M6 with Sun JDK, IBM JDK
 > and GCJ 4.0 on a linux computer. GCJ 4.0 and a compiled version of
 > Eclipse is part of development version of Fedora Core 4.
 >
 >   Sun JDK 1.5.0_03:    a little over 11 sec.
 >   IBM JDK 1.4.2 SR1a:  15 sec.
 >   GCJ 4.0:             27 sec.
 >
 > Note that IBM JDK provides a single JVM (and JIT) optimized for both
 > throughput and start-up time while Sun offers HotSpot Server VM and
 > Client VM for each goal. The way IBM took is more challenging.
 >
 > Anyway, GCJ-compiled native binary took much time to start up.

For what it's worth, we haven't been able to duplicate this.  Our
tests have shown the startup time of Eclipse under gcj to be good.

 > Can it be improved somehow?

I suspect so, yes.  We're soon to be investigating profile data of gcj
runtime with a view to doing some tuning.

 > Or, does gij run in much part of Eclipse?

Possibly, but I doubt it.  Have a look at /proc/PID/maps to be sure.

Andrew.