Re: Problems compiling GCC 3.4.3 and libgcj

Martin Egholm Nielsen wrote:

> I am trying to get GCC 3.4.3 compiled into a relatively small > footprint (< 200 Mb), so I can use it on my targets. I only want > c, c++ and java installed. I downloaded the gcc-core .tar and ran > the make and make install on that and successfully installed it on > my target machine, taking up approximately 40MB. When I build the > core along with c++ and java, my libraries such as libgcj.a come > out to be over 100MB! Compared to a 20MB libgcj on my Fedora 3 > machines.

Should you instead look at the size of libgcj.so? This is probably way smaller than the .a-file... And as Andrew suggests - strip it - it will shrink to 1/3 of the size...

--disable-multilib is a good idea.

What does this actually do?

Some targets support multiple ABIs, and in some of these cases GCC will build multiple copies of everything for each of these different ABIs. This feature is called "multilib". In general you'll only be using one ABI, so you can disable this to save time and space. You can also use --disable-static if you don't need the static (.a) libraries.

Bryce