Re: RFC: BC-ABI and Old Verifier

Ranjit Mathew writes:
 > On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:14:06 +0000, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
 > > Ranjit Mathew writes:
 > >  >
 > >  >   How about making either -findirect-dispatch the default
 > >  > *or* resurrecting the old verifier for the non-BC-ABI
 > >  > case?
 > >
 > > That's what we do.
 >
 > ???
 >
 > BTW, why *isn't* BC-ABI the default? Even if
 > can't quite guarantee the ABI to remain constant,
 > it seems to resolve *quite* a few issues...

Sure, but it's not yet quite stable.  It will be.  4.0 is something of
a BC "pre-release" for people to use.

Also, it's rather less efficient than the "old" ABI.

 > >  > The current situation would cause users unnecessary pain
 > >  > (e.g. PR 5537) so it should be resolved either one way
 > >  > or the other,  or we risk having to listen to lots of
 > >  > user complaints when GCC 4.0 is released.
 > >  >
 > >  > With the BC-ABI merge, a lot of the old verifier was
 > >  > disabled/crippled (e.g. subroutine verification):
 > >  >
 > >  > http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gcc/gcc/java/verify.c.diff?r1=1.66&r2=1.67&only_with_tag=MAIN
 > >  >
 > >  > If we can't quite make BC-ABI the default yet, we
 > >  > should revert verify.c to revision 1.65 (just before
 > >  > the BC-ABI merge).
 > >
 > > Pre-approved.  There's no reason not to revert the old verifier to its
 > > pre-merge state; it was only a temporary kludge.
 >
 > Ok. But were they all just kludges or were there
 > genuine bug-fixes too? In particular, do you remember
 > why you made the set of changes in the latter half
 > of the diff above?

All the TYPE_DUMMY stuff is for binary compatibility, and we don't use
the old verifier with BC.  All the types being in a TREE_LIST is also
for binary compatibility.

It's far better simply to revert the old verifier to pre-merge.