Re: linking a .so with libgcj.a ?

Andi Vajda writes:

 > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Andrew Haley wrote:
 >
 > > Andi Vajda writes:
 > > >
 > > > Linking with libgcj.a on Windows with Mingw 3.4.2 works fine, isn't it the
 > > > same linker originally ?
 > >
 > > I don't understand this question.
 >
 > The Mingw 3.4.2 compiler only comes with a libgcj.a, there is no shared
 > library for libgcj shipped with the Mingw compiler. Creating my python
 > extension shared library is done by statically linking it with libgcj.a.

OK.  That seems reasonable.

 > This seems to work well, I've been doing this with Mingw since
 > version 3.3.1.  Isn't the Mingw linker basically the same as on
 > Linux and Mac OS X ?

Basically.  But the capabilities of linkers varies widely between
systems, even when the linkers are all variants of GNU ld.

 > Or did the person behind the Mingw tool chain
 > do something special ? If it is smart enough to produce something
 > that works on Windows, wouldn't the same apply on Linux ?

Probably.  But to be sure I'd have to try it.

It may well be that your problem has nothing to do with PIC, but it's
worth fixing that first.  As has been pointed out in this thread,
there are other potential problems.