Q about geom implementation

I notice that several methods such as RectangularShape.getBounds2D are missing according to the comparison of gcj with jdk. I can see that they get implemented by the concrete implementations of classes such as Rectangle2D.Double.

However, if a client program were to derive a class from RectangularShape, it could break due to the absence of this method. So, I wanted to ask those who know for opinions on providing implementations for the missing methods in java.awt.geom.

Thanks,
Jerry Quinn