Re: Organization and symbol lookup for shared libraries

Andrew Haley wrote:

James Damour writes:
> Bryce McKinlay writes:
> > Perhaps this step (running gcj-dbtool) could be avoided altogether: if > > the cache is found to be out-of-date at runtime, because someone added > > or changed a shared library without re-running dbtool, then we'll need > > to open those modified shared libraries at runtime anyway. Since we have > > to open them, the runtime could simply update the cache file on-the-fly?
> > The problem with that is permissions.

What should happen in this situation is for libgcj to fall back to loading the shared libraries without the cache, and print a warning that the cache file needs to be updated by running gcj-dbtool.

One thing we do need to consider carefully, though, is security - we don't want a suid root gcj application blindly opening shared libraries from user-writable directories!

Also, there's a potential issue with shared access. I'm not
sure it's wothwhile.

I don't see what the problem is with sharing. Surely, provided the cache file is updated atomically, it will never be seen in an inconsistent state?

Regards

Bryce