Re: [MinGW-dvlpr] Re: Cygwin / MSYS Command-Line-Length Issues? (wasRe: GC Problems...)

Aaron W. LaFramboise wrote:
> Simon Levitt wrote:
>
>>I've put it down to something probably stupidly low (2048) which forced
>>libtool into incremental linking.
>
> Can you tell me exactly how you did this?  I've tried modifying both all
> instances of max_cmd_len in libjava/dlltool, and modifying ltconfig
> directly, all before configuring and building, and it does not seem to
> stop make from attempting to pass that huge command line.

I looked at this in more detail.  The problem happens before libtool is
even invoked, which is why max_cmd_len doesn't appear to make a difference.

make is trying to invoke libtool with all of the dependencies.  If that
invokation were successful, which it isn't, libtool would then do the
correct partial link.  But it doesn't get that far.  I think something
needs to tell automake about max_cmd_len also so that it does not cause
make to exceed the maximum length.  I'm not entirely sure how this would
work though, because it seems like it might mean requiring automake to
know about partial links also.

Aaron W. LaFramboise