Re: Java 3D released!

Bryce McKinlay wrote:
Ray Auge wrote:

Anyone read this news. (Sun realeased Java 3D)

http://www.sys-con.com/story/?storyid=45421

Any ideas on the topic of possible inclusion of this to the libs

Unfortunately only a few parts of Java 3D were released under a free license. The core javax.media.j3d and javax.vecmath packages are only available under the JDL/JRL licenses which are non-free, I presume. However, the example programs and com.sun.j3d.* packages were released under BSD license, so we could perhaps consider using those if they proved to be useful.

Note that there is already a free implementation of javax.vecmath: http://www.objectclub.jp/download/vecmath_e

And the rest of the world seems to have moved to Xith3d. [1]

In any case, releasing the core utils [2], and the examples [3] under
BSD is very nice of Sun. That doesn't mean that Java3D is now open-source, as the ever eager Sun marketing machinery [4] is trying to tell people [5], [6].

And releasing the other stuff under LGPL is very nice, too. As well as putting Looking Glass under GPL.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] http://www.xith.org/tiki-index.php
[2] https://j3d-core-utils.dev.java.net/
[3] https://j3d-examples.dev.java.net/
[4] Java 1.5 is dead! Long live Java 5! Or Java 5.0! Or whatever it is called today!
[5]http://today.java.net/jag/page9.html#78
[6] http://www.java.net/pub/wlg/1543