Re: GCJ's URLClassloader and 'core' protocol

Hi Sal,

Mohan>>> That approach won't currently work on Windows.

Tom>> IMO we really need someone to fix things so we can build a .dll on
Tom>> Windows.

>I would be interested in helping with this... though I am afraid that my
>gcc/gcj knowledge is a bit lacking.  If you could point me to some
>resources (code, docs) I will look into it and see what I can do.  Any
>tips on what parts need hacking specifically would help me out tremendously.

>(I have several years c/c++/asm/java experience but little to do with
>compiler architecture.)

Sal: This post probably best sums up the current state of building libgcj.dll
on Windows:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java-patches/2003-q4/msg00363.html

Note that the second issue (exceptions across DLL boundaries) is resolved
by a MinGW-local patch I've applied to my 3.4 build. If we want to do this
"properly" (as discussed in the above post), I think the current version of libtool
will cause problems too.

Note that my current 3.4 build <i>does</i> include a libgcj.dll, but this is
not the same animal as libgcj.so because it's created by the magical Windows
archive-library-into-a-DLL linker.

-- Mohan
http://www.thisiscool.com/
http://www.animalsong.org/