Re: GCJ's URLClassloader and 'core' protocol

Tom Tromey wrote:

Mohan> That approach won't currently work on Windows.

IMO we really need someone to fix things so we can build a .dll on
Windows.

I would be interested in helping with this... though I am afraid that my gcc/gcj knowledge is a bit lacking. If you could point me to some resources (code, docs) I will look into it and see what I can do. Any tips on what parts need hacking specifically would help me out tremendously.

(I have several years c/c++/asm/java experience but little to do with compiler architecture.)

> For the GC parts, this may also imply tightening CNI a bit
so that roots must be explicitly registered (or whatever, see the many
discussions on this topic).  There's just no way we're going to make
static linking work reliably, it is too far from the java model, IMO.

Does the new ABI give any hope for custom classloaders and statically linked objects? Or is it just a dead horse now? I wonder how hard it would be to tie objects to their classloaders at runtime instead of link-time...

Thanks for the help/info,

- Sal