Re: gcj/SWT gc() and memory

I'm using Mohan Embar's recent (6/7) toolkit for compiling
SWT apps on Windows and have not attempted the equiv.
on Linux (my primary dev box).

I had not been aware of GC_MAXIMUM_HEAP_SIZE
and GC_set_max_heap_size().  Using GC_MAXIMUM_HEAP_SIZE
I am able to restrain the gcj version to the same memory
usage as the JRE version.  _Thank you!_

I googled on GC_set_max_heap_size() and I didn't find
usage documentation for calling that function from within
a Java program.  I found lots of .h files with the function
signature on the internet but no usage documentation.

Is there a 'howto' doc that covers setting memory constraints
similar to -Xms, -Xmx, and other gcj gc settings in the context
of gcj?

Thank you again.

Boehm, Hans wrote:

You are observing the large heap size under Windows?  Or also
under Linux?

If it's under Windows, you might be running into a known issue
with the collector scanning graphics memory for roots.  You
can get more information about what's going on by either calling
GC_dump() explicitly, or by running the executable with
the GC_DUMP_REGULARLY environment variable defined.  Especially the
latter will produce huge volumes of output.  You are really interested
in its description of the root set after the heap has grown.

Hans