Re: valgrinding GCJ Java code

Boehm, Hans wrote:
I don't know what the specific issue is here.

The specific issue is that control never returns from JvCreateJavaVM() or JNI_CreateJavaVM() when the app is run under valgrind.

I would expect lots of bogus problem reports for the garbage collector.
For example, the collector scans complete stacks for pointers.  Some of those
stacks are likely to be uninitialized.  (The way to fix these would be to
teach valgrind about the garbage collector.  I don't know if it has hooks
for the GC to tell it what's going on.)

Valgrind does have some hooks for this sort of thing, but that is way beyond my understanding.

If you are looking for a memory overwrite problem, the patch in
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2004-03/msg00222.html (for which I'm still hoping
for feedback!) should also provide some checking, which might help.

I will keep that one in mind, thanks.

--
Tom Schutter (mailto:tom@platte.com)
Platte River Associates, Inc. (http://www.platte.com)