Re: Why Does "java_global_trees" Exist?

Ranjit Mathew wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:45:51 -0400, Bryce McKinlay <mckinlay@redhat.com> wrote:
[...]

Yeah, this is a leftover from earlier incarnations of GCC's garbage
collector. These days we can use GTY markers to easily register roots,
so the java_global_trees stuff could be removed. I've found it annoying
in the past too, so I vote to get rid of it.

Actually *everyone* (but Ada/Fortran) seems to have "global_trees" structures - I've found "global_trees", "c_global_trees", "cp_global_trees" and "objc_global_trees", apart from "java_global_trees".

Maybe it's better this way to reduce the roots set exposed to the GCC garbage collector.

Yeah, I suppose if they were all separate entries rather than a big array, the root set data would be larger since each entry in the root set array generated by gengtype carries type information as well as the pointer. But, whether that translates into a measureable performance penalty is hard to say.

Regards

Bryce