Re: Why Does "java_global_trees" Exist?

Ranjit Mathew wrote:

Many a time have I been smitten/flummoxed by GDB
proclaiming a supposedly global variable to be non-existent
only to discover it being a macro aliasing one of the
elements of "java_global_trees".

Wild guess: is it to have a convenient root for
the GCC garbage collection mechanism?

Yeah, this is a leftover from earlier incarnations of GCC's garbage collector. These days we can use GTY markers to easily register roots, so the java_global_trees stuff could be removed. I've found it annoying in the past too, so I vote to get rid of it.

Regards

Bryce