RE: Exception Handling

Chris Gray wrote:
> I don't have any hard numbers either, but my experience leads
> me to believe that exceptions are thrown far more often than most
> VM/compiler developers would like to think.

I agree.

> Maybe someone who knows where to put the printf()s should try
> measring the try/catch ratio of some big lump of real-world code,
> e.g. Eclipse?

Knowing where to put the printf is quite difficult for IKVM, but I just
started Eclipse 3.0M8 and looked at the .NET performance counter for the
number of exceptions and it was about 21000.

This number is an upper limit, because of the way the two systems differ
in exception handling some (most?) exceptions are counted multiple times
as they percolate up the stack.

Regards,
Jeroen