How to overcome MissingResourceException (gnu.java.locale.Calendar)

Hi there,

I know this problem has been up a few times - the MissingResourceException when using java.util.Date's toString()-method.
(http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2002-04/msg00186.html)

That is, having the small source-file

public class DateTest {
//	private static Class _c = gnu.java.locale.Calendar.class;
		System.out.println( "Date: " + new java.util.Date() );
	} // main
} // DateTest

will throw a MissingResourceException when compiled with gcj-3.3 if the commented statement is omitted.
However, since I'd like to have my source compatible with Sun's/IBM's compiler, I hope there is a way to overcome the need for the explicit class-reference?

In http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2004-03/msg00289.html Scott Gilbertson, addresses this issue:

=== SNIP ===
Depending on what classes you're using, you may also need some "-u"
parameters on your link line, to force it to link in classes which are
dynamically loaded in your application (or in the libraries). It's
generally easier, though to put lines like the following in one of your Java files, which accomplishes the same thing:
private static Class cl2 = gnu.gcj.convert.Output_UTF8.class;
=== SNIP ===

but I don't quite understand how this "-u" parameter works.

Best regards,
 Martin Egholm