Re: gcj for ppc

Hi there,

Hello!, We have problem to compile java files on a ppc (powerpc) machine. the machine have a space of 16 mb and have a small linux distro of linux (max 10 mb). the machine even haven´t gcc compiler to install programs. So we need to in some way compile java files. I have read about that gcj have ability to config and build gcj soo it can execute on powerpc from a linux redhat.
I think you can fit a small Linux into a couple of megs. - 2-3 megs. with busybox. Then ofcourse you may need some libraries that may take up more or less space - e.g. libpthread.so (~100kb unstripped).

My questions is how i config and build gcj for ppc from linux redhat, witch nessary liberias i need and so on. a smallest requerment to only run gcj. if it exists a good site where i can get all the information should be good for us to.
Take a look at Crosstool and the included "demo-*.sh":
http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/
I've recently builded a crosscompiler for a ppc405 for use under cygwin and redhat. Just remember to edit the associated demo-*.sh file to include "java" in the environment variable:
GCC_LANGUAGES="c,c++"

However, you may need to compile your Java-project statically in order to avoid the huge size of libgcj.so (10mb stripped). Alternatively you can modify the makefile for libgcj, in order to strip away the Java packages not necessary - java.awt.*, javax.swing.*, etc... (I haven't tried this yet, but soon I will)...

Best regards,
 Martin Egholm