Re: GCJ adoption and improving our "PR"

Hi Andrew,

That is the focus of the "New ABI" that we keep talking about.

When (which version) would we expect that to appear (gcc 3.5 or later?)

It'll be possible to run existing jarfiles without altering them, although you'll probably want to do a precompilation step to make running faster.

I really don't mind recompiling them all especially if I can go direct to native.

The issue I was trying to bring up is how high the hurdle is now to simply get something useable going.

There's still the issue of getting free versions of all the libraries,
of course.

Yes, we seem to have so many license variations that nothing "free" works with anything else "free" and by doing so we are making work for ourselves and forcing the reinvention of the wheel (how many awt and peer related implmentations do we really need!).

Kevin