Re: GCJ adoption and improving our "PR"

Hi Bryce,

Bryce McKinlay wrote:

GCJ has unique benefits that should be emphasised - like:

Right on spot.

- It allows you to write applications in Java that behave, look, and feel just like any other "native" application.

Moreover, it *installs* just like any other application on your user's syetem. No need for asking the obvious questions: 'where is your Java', 'what Java version do you have', 'let me download this handy 70 megabyte hairball for you first', 'oh, looks like you've got your Java from Sun, but it has a bug that crashes our app, so let me fetch you IBMs and make it the default on your system', 'whaddaya mean uninstall?', 'how would you like to have your CLASSPATH set today', and similar java nightmares.

And then there is the "public relations" issue. From my perspective there is definitely far more going on in the GCJ/Classpath world today than there was, say, 2 - 3 years ago. Adoption and development work has undoubtably accelerated. GCJ developers and users know this, I think, but apparently there is a perception in the wider community that things are somewhat stagnant. Our website doesn't help this perception: updates are infrequent and the content is somewhat out of date.

http://classpath.wildebeest.org/planet/

But seriously, if someone who doesn't feel like hacking C or Java code or writing mauve tests would be so kind to start summarizing what's happening on gcj, and GNU Classpath mailing lists in a format similar to kernel traffic, debian weekly news, or LWN, I think you'd have a very good chance of reaching out to people who don't want to browse gcc.gnu.org for their daily news feed. :)

Jim Pick was doing something like that for Kaffe as Kaffe Weekly News [1], but I think something like that in the context of the whole free java runtime spectrum (from AegisVM to Wonka) would fill quite a few pages of interesting reading once a week.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] http://www.kaffe.org/weeklynews/2002/2.html and then it froze because of lack of time :(