Re: creating standalone gij/gcj builds

Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
Jens Lehmann <jens.lehmann@goldmail.de> writes:

Hi Jens,

You are using Debian, aren't you?

Yes, I am. :-)

I recently used gcj and gij for the first time and am very interested
in this project. However I find it very difficult to use it in eclipse
(and probably any other IDE) as a Standard-VM. It's required to
compile gcc and make various changes to get it working. I'm still
having problems, but this is not the topic of this thread.

You can install gcj from the Debian package:

$ dpkg -l gcj gij

ii  gcj            3.3.2-2        The GNU Java compiler
ii  gij            3.3.2-2        The GNU Java bytecode interpreter

Installing gij/gcj using Debian packages is not a problem. I can compile and run fine on the commandline. Integration in eclipse is more complicated.

Of course everything would be significantly easier, if gij/gcj would
provide a similar installation, like the J2SDK does. This means a
packed file for different platforms you can simply extract somewhere
and you are ready to run. By using the same/similar directory
structure and file names, you could use gcj/gij very easy in existing
IDEs.

1° Maybe it's more a distro thing;

Maybe, but it should be made easy for the distros. Having standalone builds also enables developers to run multiple versions of gij/gcj without problems (I already have several VMs installed), so they can test upcoming beta releases easier.

2° About Debian, you can maybe join the debian-java mailing list and ask
   for this ('gcj, gij have a J2SDK like tree structure'), I think some
   people will be interresting. We probably post something related to
   this in less than a month ;-)

I'm already reading the list (a lot of spam btw.). I'll probably send you a private mail to get some of my thoughts regarding free Java and Debian sorted.

3° Also, gcj does provide a lot of tools but not all (gjdoc is not a
   part of gcj AFAIK).

You're right. It belongs to classpath. That's a problem indeed.

Jens