Re: Inclusion of GNU jaxp in libgcj

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Michael Koch wrote:
> I thought including GNU jaxp in libgcj. Its part of the of the
> classpath-x project. Its licensed under GPL with the same exceptional
> clause that libgcj has with the exception of the DOM interface
> sources (which are subject instead to the W3C license) and the
> SAX2 r2pre2 files (which are in the public domain). No file I
> investigated showed any assigned copyright notice to FSF. All copyright
> notices of files under GPL contain personal names of the authors.

In my opinion, adding any additional extension libraries to libgcj is a
mistake at least until binary compatibility is in place.  Besides
bloating the library, it would become impossible for any binaries
depending on libgcj to link in their own version of jaxp, due to the
duplicate class registration.

See the list archives for discussion of the org.xml hierarchy.  It was
eventually yanked from libgcj and placed in its own DSO for this reason.

Jeff