Bug while compiling libgcj under AIX

FYI: I've been communicating with Andrew Haley while I'm trying to build libgcj under AIX. I sent some diagnostic info to Andrew on Friday, 1/2/04.

I think I just discovered a small "configure" bug when building fastjar. AIX is a big endian machine. The configure script creates config.h containing the define ?WORDS_BIG_ENDIAN 1?. However jartool.c (which includes config.h) tests for ?WORDS_BIGENDIAN? (no second underscore).

To get a correct fastjar executable, I had to change config.h to ?WORDS_BIGENDIAN 1?. Of course jartool.c could have been changed instead (so long as config.h and jartool.c are in agreement).

If this fix is not made, then you get a fastjar executable that runs, but it will think all jar files are invalid because the jar header/signature is interpreted as little endian.

I hope this info helps.

Dean Hill

Tired of slow downloads? Compare online deals from your local high-speed providers now. https://broadband.msn.com