Re: Compiling "static" applications with SWT/GTK

Mohan Embar wrote:

I'm probably going to get tarred and feathered for this, but
I don't understand the deployment problem either. Even on
Windows, I typically make my deployment "unit" a small executable
plus a number of DLLs all deployed in the same directory.
This seems to me the best of all worlds, especially if the distributed
bundle contains not one, but possibly several interrelated
executables as is often the case.

I guess the main thing I don't understand is why static vs. dynamic linking is something that you choose as a configure option when building the compiler from source. I mean, my GCJ installation in my Linux environment ships with a libgcj static library and a libgcj shared library, and GCJ has a "-static" flag... so what's the problem? If there are problems with the "-static" flag, or static compilation in general, it would seem to make more sense to resolve those issues... rather than leave it broken and tell people "it's like that on purpose", or "it's for your own good".

Hey Ranjit and Steve: if you have so much time to write about this ( :) ),
can you weigh in on this:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java-patches/2003-q4/msg00438.html

You've got a short memory, Mohan! We emailed about this last week. My vote still goes (and always will go) towards NOT imposing licensing restrictions on compiled executables. If you do that, you kill a compiler.