Standalone use of gcj

Angelo.Borsotti@alcatel.it writes:

 > is it possible to use gcj in a standalone way, with a
 > reduced libgcj that does not contain any core class libraries?
 > I would like to compile with it my .class files and the
 > core class files of HP and run the whole on an HP server.
 > The idea of providing a free implementation of SUN's core
 > libraries is great. However, it would take time to do and
 > to get it right.
 > In the meantime, being able to use gcj as a pure compiler +
 > it minimum runtime support (garbage collector, and primordial
 > loader, I guess) would be a *GREAT* thing.

No.  The core libraries depend on native methods, and the interface
between the core classes and these methods is system dependent.  The
implementation of the core classes and the underlying native code is
not specified by the Java standard.  However, the VM depends on these
exact implementation details.