GPL, CPL - Eclipse/SWT (Was: linux audio software using gcj&swt!)

Hi,

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 13:19, Bryce McKinlay wrote:
> > this would have the advantage that pure
> > GPLed swt-apps could be written and distributed legally.
>
> Ideally the FSF people and the eclipse people would get together and
> sort out whatever it is that makes the SWT license incompatible with
> the GPL.

We know why code distributed under the GPL and the CPL cannot be
combined into a bigger derived work and still be distributable. See
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses:

        The Common Public License is incompatible with the GPL because
        it has various specific requirements that are not in the GPL.

        For example, it requires certain patent licenses be given that
        the GPL does not require. (We don't think those patent license
        requirements are inherently a bad idea, but nonetheless they are
        incompatible with the GNU GPL.)

After the GNU Classpath Workshop in Saarbruecken we had a little
discussion about this with Michael Tiemann (Red Hat CTO), who is on the
Eclipse Board.
See http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2003-10/msg00060.html

        We also talked about how the CPL (Common Public License), that
        Eclipse and SWT are distributed under, which makes it impossible
        to use when combining it with any GPL covered code. And we might
        be able to convince them (he is on the Eclipse Board of
        Stewards) to resolve this issue. Although again no promises, but
        I think this is something we should try to push a little.

I will send him an email on how to proceed with this.
And if there are more people interested in developing programs that they
want to distributed under the GPL and who want to use the SWT libraries
please let me know so I can indicate to him how many people are actually
interested in this.

Cheers,

Mark