Re: values types for Java

On 21 Oct 2003, Adam Megacz wrote:
> I guess if you're going to recompile the entire JDK every time you
> change one line in your app, then this would work.

That's silly.  Escape analysis should be on at the highest levels of
optimization.  When changing one line in your app, you're probably in the
midst of development, and most people wouldn't use high optimzation while
developing.

(Some of my makefiles do both: I can optionally compile the entire app in
one step, not just to take advantage of optimization but because it's
faster!)

Besides, the algorithm can be conservative, so that it needn't follow all
possible code paths, i.e. into core libraries.  (Nevertheless tree-ssa
will probably have this capability now that it compiles bytecode
function-at-a-time.)

Jeff