Re: Anyone else sees a bootstrap failure (Linux-x86)?

 > On Solaris 8, I did see an improvement with "-pipe",
 > but it was always a ~5% improvement.

This is surprising. You don't say what filesystem you were using.

It's UFS without journalling, AFAICT.

But I still don't fully comprehend why "-pipe" cannot
be faster - at some point in time, the OS's filesystem
buffers will get full and will have to be flushed out to
the disc, incurring I/O penalties, during "normal"
compilation.

If the compiler outputs assembly code in one
large burst (or a few large bursts) and the assembler
reads its input in one large burst (or a few large
bursts), the interlocking effect in "-pipe" that you
talked about wouldn't be so pronounced.

It's not very black and white to me still.

I apologise if I seem particularly dense.

Ranjit.

Tired of emails bouncing back? Need more space? http://server1.msn.co.in/features/general/extrastorage/index.asp Get extra storage on Hotmail