Re: values types for Java

Bryce McKinlay wrote:

However I'm not keen on the idea of implementing this as a GCJ extension with some kind of hacked-up syntax. The benefits of something only supported by GCJ would be limited and the syntax would not make them elegant to use.

Note I'm not suggesting any syntax changes. I'm suggesting a *convention* to make it easy for a compiler like GCJ to implement a fully portable Java class as a stack-allocatable value class instead of heap allocation. Both the Java source code and the Java bytecodes would be portable Java, but compiling to native code would use a different ABI.

> As Per suggested, the way forward would be to propose this as a JSR
> and take it from there.

On the other hand if we had a preliminary imlementation with some
performance numbers, that might be both a selling point for gcj,
and it might make it easier to justify a JSR.

Classic route:
* A test implementation in GCJ.
* Write up the feature and the results as an conference paper.
* Try to get it accepted at a suitable conference (OOPSLA,
the usenix JVM conference are the most obvious places).
* Use the paper (even if only web-published) to justify
forming a JSR.

The JCP is very company oriented.  I don't know how difficult
it would be for an individual to sponsor a JSR, but a company
like (say) Red Hat certainly could.
--
	--Per Bothner