Re: Anyone else sees a bootstrap failure (Linux-x86)?

Andrew Haley wrote:

>  > "-pipe" is useful and eliminates a lot of temporary files creation,
>  > somewhat speeding up the build.
>
> Not on any sane platform.  Really, have you ever seen a significant
> speedup?  Or is file creation so horribly slow on Windows that this is
> a real issue?

>From the GCC manual:

----------------------------- 8< -----------------------------
-pipe
    Use pipes rather than temporary files for communication
between the various stages of compilation. This fails to
work on some systems where the assembler is unable to read from
a pipe; but the GNU assembler has no trouble.
----------------------------- 8< -----------------------------

It *looks like* "-pipe" should be at least as fast, if not
faster, than using temporary files. However, I have never
really properly compared the two alternatives.

This choice was based more on a gut feeling and a large
amount of anecdotal evidence (mainly, Slashdot comments - the
ones on the *old* Slashdot, not the weirdness that
currently carries the same name).

By "sane", do you mean a system that does a
healthy amount of file-system caching to
avoid unnecessary writes to the disk, making
using temporary files almost as fast as pipes?

BTW, I build only on x86-Linux now.

Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew        Email: rmathew AT hotmail DOT com
Bangalore,